Last Updated on
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 egg whites
2 cups finely chopped nuts
10 tablespoons jam or jelly (any flavor)
1. Heat oven to 350º. Beat brown sugar, butter, vanilla and egg yolk in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour and salt.
2. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Beat egg white slightly with fork. Dip each ball into egg white; roll in nuts.
3. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Press thumb into center of each cookie to make indentation.
4. Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown. Quickly remake indentations with end of wooden spoon if necessary.
5. Remove cookies from cookie sheet to wire rack. Fill thumbprints with about 1/2 measuring teaspoon jam.