Caramel Frosted Chocolate Cake
3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
Caramel Frosting Ingredients:
2 cups packed brown sugar
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. In a small saucepan, melt chocolate in water. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
5. Add cooled chocolate mixture; beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
6. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
1. Combine the brown sugar, milk, butter and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
2. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm.
3. Transfer to a small mixing bowl; beat in confectioners' sugar, cream and vanilla until mixture achieves spreading consistency. Frost cake.