Caramel and chocolate have long been perfect partners and this recipe is one reason why. The rich caramel of the frosting and the deep chocolate cake flavor both shine through without too much of one or the other.
3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
Caramel Frosting Ingredients:
2 cups packed brown sugar
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. In a small saucepan, melt chocolate in water. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
5. Add cooled chocolate mixture; beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
6. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish or two greased 8-inch round cake pans.
7. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes for 13x9 or 30-35 minutes for 8-inch round pans. Check for doneness when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
1. Combine the brown sugar, milk, butter and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
2. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm.
3. Transfer to a small mixing bowl; beat in confectioners' sugar, cream and vanilla until mixture achieves spreading consistency. Frost cake.