This is a wonderfully rich chocolate cake recipe that has been passed through generations of family members. It is absolutely luscious, and very easy to make.
Frost with the homemade chocolate frosting recipe for a cake that will become everyone's favorite for any occasion.
Triple Layer Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
1 cup cocoa powder
2 cups boiling water
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2-1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Chocolate Cake Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans.
2. In a medium bowl, stir the boiling water into the cocoa until smooth, and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
4. At medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar for 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Turn mixer down to low speed. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
7. Stir in the vanilla, and do not over-beat.
8. Pour an equal amount of batter into each of the three prepared pans.
9. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
10 Cool in pans set on racks for 10 minutes. Invert pans on racks, remove pans, and allow layers to cool completely before frosting.
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
1 6-ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup half-and-half
3/4 cup butter (1-1/2 sticks)
2-1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
Chocolate Frosting Directions:
1. Combine the chocolate chips, half-and-half, and butter in a heavy saucepan.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate chips melt. Remove from heat.
3. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, stirring well.
4. Set the saucepan in a large bowl filled with ice, and beat at low speed with an electric mixer until frosting begins to lose its gloss and holds its shape. If necessary, add a half-teaspoon or so of half-and-half to achieve perfect spreading consistency.
Other Cake Flavors to Try
After making this decadent and delicious chocolate cake recipe, try your hand at these other cake flavors:
- Orange. Orange cake doesn't get a lot of love, but it deserves to. This cake flavor is sweet and citrusy, without having too much of a punch. It's a great summertime cake flavor.
- Red velvet. Red velvet is basically just chocolate cake, but somehow it ends up tasting different. Red velvet is a very popular flavor, especially around Valentine's Day.
- Strawberry. Strawberry cake is another great summertime option. You've probably had strawberry shortcake before, but this is a little different. Frost with chocolate frosting for a chocolate-covered strawberries-inspired cake.
- Angel food cake. Angel food cake is light and fluffy, making it popular among those who can't stomach heavy and dense cakes. If you prefer chocolate, try Devil's food cake instead.
- Rhubarb. Rhubarb is an unusual, but delicious, cake flavor. It's more savory than a lot of the other cake flavors on this list, making it a good choice if you aren't in the mood for something super sweet.
- Funfetti. The kids in your life will love a Funfetti cake. Funfetti cake is basically just vanilla cake with sprinkles inside. The extra pop of color will delight children far and wide. Frost with Funfetti frosting to keep the theme going, or just use regular chocolate or vanilla.
- Marble cake. If you're making a cake for fans of vanilla and chocolate, why not combine them into one cake? Marble cake takes the best of both worlds and swirls them into one. What's not to love?
- Apple cake. This is the perfect cake flavor to choose for fall. If you need a great dessert idea for a fall gathering or for Thanksgiving, then apple cake is the best choice.