Yellow Cake Recipe
This yellow cake recipe is a simply delicious made from scratch cake that can be frosted with almost any flavor frosting. It is the perfect dessert after a home cooked meal.
1/3 cup softened shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup milk
1. Cream softened shortening and butter. Add the eggs to the mixture, mix well.
2. Sift together all dry ingredients and add to the creamy mixture. Stir in milk and vanilla.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F in two 9 inch round cake pans for 25 to 30 minutes.
3. Frost with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (recipe below).
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
3/4 cups baking cocoa
2-2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
6 Tablespoons butter, at room temperature
5 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine cocoa and sugar in a bowl.
2. With an electric mixer, cream the butter with 1/2 cup of the cocoa/sugar mixture in a medium bowl.
3. Add the remaining cocoa/sugar mixture alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency.
4. Blend in vanilla. Makes 2 cups.