Every great cup of coffee deserves a moist slab of coffee cake to go with it. Whether for breakfast or an afternoon refueling, this recipe is buttery and absolutely delicious!
2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
4 ounces butter, cold, cut in pieces
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. Combine flour, brown sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl; cut in butter until the mixture coarse crumbs form. Take out 1 cup of crumbs and put aside.
3. Combine egg, buttermilk, baking powder, baking soda and vanilla, whisk until smooth; stir into the remaining crumbs in bowl. Spread in the prepared baking pan.
4. Sprinkle reserved crumbs evenly over the batter. Bake for 30 minutes.
Other Cakes to Try
After trying out this great coffee cake recipe, try these other delicious cakes that are sure to delight:
- Ice cream cake. This is a great choice for summer, especially if you're celebrating a summer birthday. You can buy ice cream cake from the store, or try your hand at making your own! Just be sure you defrost it ahead of time.
- Hummingbird cake. Originating from Jamaica, this cake is made with bananas, pineapple, pecans, vanilla, and spices. It's a fruity, savory, and sweet cake all in one, making it a delight to serve to just about anyone.
- Strawberry shortcake. A favorite among kids, this is a great cake to serve alongside a healthy helping of vanilla ice cream. Have your kids give you a hand with this one!
- Black Forest cake. This German cake includes cherries and chocolate. Traditionally, it also includes kirsch, a German brandy. You can choose to leave this out if you want. Don't worry, though; nobody will get drunk off of this cake!
- Boston cream pie. If you have a fan of Boston cream donuts in your family, then Boston cream pie is a must-try! It's basically the same concept as a Boston cream donut, being a yellow cake with custard filling and chocolate frosting.
- Butter cake. This dense and filling cake has butter as a main ingredient, hence the name. Frost with a hearty helping of chocolate frosting, or use whatever frosting flavor you prefer.
- Funfetti. Funfetti cake is a child's delight! This cake includes colorful sprinkles that children will love. You can buy Funfetti mix from the store, or try making your own. It's a simple vanilla cake with colorful sprinkles included. Frost with Funfetti frosting to make a complete Funfetti cake.
- Applesauce cake. This is a very old recipe, dating all the way back to colonial times. It includes flour, sugar, and applesauce as its main ingredients. This is a simple, time-tested classic that's perfect for fall, or whenever your budget for the week is pressed.