This is a delicious pumpkin cake recipe that gives you a wonderful alternative to the same old pumpkin pie at holiday dinners. Moist and warmly spiced, the pumpkin flavor shines through and is perfect frosted with cream cheese frosting.
1 cup shortening
3 cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 can pumpkin (15-oz)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Mix the dry ingredients (except the sugar) together and set aside.
2. Cream sugar and shortening; add the eggs. Add this to the dry mixture and cream well.
3. Add pumpkin and vanilla; Mix well.
4. Pour into a greased and floured tube or bundt pan.
5. Bake about 90 min at 350 degrees F.
6. Cream cheese frosting may be added, but this pumpkin cake is moist and keeps well for several days without any topping.
Other Great Cakes to Try
After trying out our pumpkin cake recipe, give these other great cakes a try:
- Apple cake. Apple cake is another great idea for fall, especially if you're growing tired of apple pie. Why not make apple cake and pumpkin cake together for your Thanksgiving dinner? That will give guests two great choices to choose from.
- Applesauce cake. After trying apple cake, give applesauce cake a try. Applesauce cake is an incredibly old recipe, dating back to colonial times. It has a simple ingredients list. Compare it to apple cake and see which one you like more.
- Gingerbread cake. Gingerbread cookies are a holiday staple, but you might want to try something different. Gingerbread cake is just the answer to that. It's different, while still retaining the coziness and distinct flavor of gingerbread cookies.
- Swiss roll cake. We're not talking about the snack cakes you can get at the store! Make your own Swiss roll cake at home. It'll take some trial-and-error to get it just right, but this delicious roll cake is worth it.
- Rum cake. Another great choice for the holidays is rum cake. This dessert is cozy and delicious, reminding those who eat it of what it feels like to sit next to a roaring fire on a cold night. It's sure to be a hit with your guests!
- Smith Island cake. This towering layer cake alternates between cake and chocolate buttercream. Frost with chocolate frosting, and top with optional chocolate shavings. This cake is sure to delight, especially with its size!
- Spice cake. This cake is flavored with a number of spices, including cinnamon, allspice, and ginger, among others. A great option for fall, this cake will remind those who eat it of everything they love about the season. There's no going wrong when it comes to this cake!