This pumpkin roll recipe is the original moist pumpkin cake filled with a creamy, delicious filling and rolled so it looks as good as it tastes. The smell of pumpkin and spices as this bakes is one of those aromas that create memories, a smell that identifies a particular occasion or feeling it produces.
Pumpkin roll is the perfect substitute for pumpkin pie as a dessert and for cake when you want something special. A 1/4 teaspoon of allspice can be added to the pumpkin roll recipe if you prefer more of a spiced flavor, without overwhelming the pumpkin taste. Allow enough time for cooling and refrigeration; the wait is worth it!
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup pumpkin
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Powdered sugar (needed for a towel, to keep the cake from sticking)
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 8-ounce package of cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Powdered sugar for topping
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and lemon juice.
2. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
3. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until well blended.
4. Spray a 10 1/2″ by 15″ non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray. Pour the batter onto the cookie sheet, spread evenly.
5. Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Prepare a clean kitchen towel by sprinkling heavily with powdered sugar.
7. After baking, turn the cookie sheet onto the towel, the cake should slide out onto the towel. Starting at one end, roll up the cake into the towel. Cool 30-40 minutes.
8. For the filling, stir together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and butter. Mix well.
9. After the roll has cooled, unroll it and spread the filling evenly. Roll back up without the towel. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour, or until filling is firm.
10. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Tips for Making a Great Pumpkin Roll
The idea of making a great pumpkin roll may feel daunting. If you're feeling anxious at the thought of making this dessert, check out these tips:
Take your time. Making a pumpkin roll requires care to be taken. It's important that you follow each step closely, especially when rolling and unrolling the cake. If you rush, you're going to be much more likely to make a mistake. The roll may break apart, or it may not stay together properly. Give yourself ample time to prepare this dessert.
Practice makes perfect. Chances are, you won't get it exactly right on the first try. Making a roll cake can take time and practice, like many other desserts. Make this recipe once or twice in advance of preparing it for other people. By making one or two “practice rolls” first, you'll get used to the recipe and you'll be able to get past any hurdles.
Don't beat yourself up over mistakes. Mistakes are going to happen when baking. It's normal. What isn't normal is beating yourself up over them! It's important that you're able to accept your baking mistakes, learn from them, and then go on. Holding on to your mistakes is only going to make baking stressful.
Follow the recipe exactly. Don't deviate from the recipe until you've tried it a few times and have a good grasp on the end result. Changing something in the recipe can impact the outcome, and sometimes that outcome could be negative. If you start changing things before you have a good handle on the recipe, you might not love the way it turns out!