Last Updated on
Midnight Velvet Chocolate Cake Recipe
This is from the recipe box of a time gone by, when dessert (especially a homemade chocolate cake) was the highlight of the meal. Every mom had her special chocolate cake recipe, served on special occasions as the highlight of the meal
This recipe is dark and decadent, and when topped with the homemade chocolate buttercream it will take you back to a simpler time and place when dinner was enjoyed in stages.
2 cups sugar
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup Hershey’s Cocoa or Hershey’s Premium European-Style Cocoa
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Rich Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9 inch round pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
3. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes.
4. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
5. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with Rich Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.
Rich Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
6 Tablespoons butter, softened
2 ⅔ cups powdered sugar
½ cup Hershey’s Cocoa or Hershey’s Premium European-Style Cocoa
⅓ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Beat butter in medium bowl.
2. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency (additional milk may be needed).
3. Stir in vanilla. Makes 2 cups frosting.