Last Updated on
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
This Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe brings back nostalgic memories of fancy desserts. In the 1950’s when kitchen appliances made baking easier, the presentation of food became more of a focus. Placing fruit on a cake in perfect symmetry made dessert look as great as it tasted. With a revival of nostalgic baking, Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a wonderful recipe to create new memories with.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 can sliced pineapple, undrained (reserve the juice)
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Using a 10 inch round skillet, melt the butter over low heat. Remove from heat and mix in the brown sugar.
2. Combine 8 slices of pineapple with the butter and brown sugar mixture. Place a maraschino cherry in the middle of each pineapple slice.
3. In a large bowl, separate the eggs. Reserve the egg whites, place the yolks in another bowl. Beat the egg yolks until lightly fluffy, set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, combine 1/2 cup pineapple juice, the white sugar and vanilla. Mix until sugar is dissolved.
5. Slowly add this mixture to the egg yolks, mixing well.
6. Sift the baking powder, flour, and salt into the egg yolk mixture. Combine well.
7. Beat egg whites until stiff then fold into the egg yolk mixture.
8. Add this mixture to the butter, pineapple, and sugar mixture.
9. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then turn upside down onto a plate.