This is an oldie but goodie, a tasty apple cake recipe filled with the flavor of apples for when pie isn't what you want and cake seems too sweet. It's the perfect blend of fruit and dessert in one cake.
6 apples (chopped, peeled and cored)
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
5 Tablespoons sugar
2 3/4 cups flour, sifted
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a tube pan.
2. Combine apples with cinnamon and sugar, coating well. Set aside.
3. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, orange juice, sugar and vanilla. Combine this mixture with the dry ingredients, then add eggs, one at a time. Mix well.
5. Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Spread half of apples over it. Pour the remaining batter over the apples and arrange the remaining apples on top.
6. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Other Great Cakes to Try
Once you've tried this great apple cake recipe, give these other fantastic cakes a try:
- Applesauce cake. This is a recipe dating back to colonial times. It's a simple recipe with few ingredients. Since you've tried apple cake, why not try applesauce cake? Compare the two and see which one you like better.
- Orange creamsicle cake. This cake uses orange and vanilla flavorings to make a cake that tastes just like an orange creamsicle! This is a perfect summer dessert to serve at a cookout or birthday party.
- Blackout cake. This cake adds a new flair to a traditional chocolate cake by adding pudding in. It's perfect for the chocolate lover in your life, or someone who wants to try their hand at fusing two desserts!
- Marble cake. Speaking of fusing desserts, marble cake takes vanilla and chocolate cake and swirls them together to make one awesome dessert. This is a relatively simple cake to make, but it has a great flavor that everyone will love.
- Orange cake. This basic cake flavor doesn't get as much attention as chocolate and vanilla, but it should. Sweet and citrusy, this cake makes an excellent dessert for those hot weather months. Frost with vanilla frosting for a perfect cake.
- Pineapple upside down cake. Want to make a fun, delicious cake with your kids? This is a great choice! Pineapple upside down cake is definitely more involved than ordinary cake, but that's where the extra pairs of hands come in handy!
- Opera cake. This cake alternates sponge cake with chocolate ganache to produce a delicious layered cake. The cake is then soaked in a coffee syrup. If you're hosting a dinner party or a formal gathering, this is a great dessert option to pick. It's more on the formal side for cakes, while not being too bland or boring.