Many people love lemon as a flavor. Bread pudding is an old dessert; it was originally popularized as a way to avoid wasting bread. Whether you have extra bread on hand or you decide to get some just for bread pudding, this recipe is a great choice!
Lemon Bread Pudding
3 rounded cups of 1/2-inch bread cubes (French bread works best)
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter the bottom only of a 2-quart casserole or soufflé dish.
2. Combine bread cubes and lemon zest in large bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine whipping cream, milk, sugar, butter, and salt in a heavy saucepan. Over medium heat, cook until butter melts, stirring occasionally. Pour over bread mixture, and toss. Allow to cool.
4. Lightly beat the egg yolks, then beat in the lemon juice, and stir into the bread mixture. Set aside.
5. Beat egg whites in large bowl of electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat. Gently fold egg whites into bread mixture.
6. Pour bread mixture into prepared dish, and bake for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted 1 inch from center comes out clean. The top of the pudding should be golden brown.
7. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Other Lemon Desserts to Try
Lemon is one of the most common dessert flavors. As such, there are plenty of options available for you to try. Making lemon bars is an obvious choice; this popular dessert balances sweetness and tartness perfectly. Lemon meringue pie is one of the more challenging pies to make, but it's 100% worth it. Lemon meringue pie is especially good in the warm months!
Making a simple lemon cake is a great option. If you're at a loss as to what to make, either for your family or for a party, a lemon cake is a good choice. Many people like lemon, so the odds that your dessert will be enjoyed are in your favor. Plus, it isn't hard to make. Lemon crinkle cookies are another easy option.
If you're up for something more involved, try making a lemon cheesecake or a lemon tart. You can add additional flavors in if you want something more complex. Just be sure whatever flavors you choose blend well with the lemon. Lemon is liked because it isn't as sweet as other dessert flavors, like chocolate. Don't add anything into a lemon dessert that would negate this!
More Bread Pudding Recipes