At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
New Orleans Bread Pudding
12 cups (cubed), French bread
7 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups heavy cream
4 cups whole milk
6 large eggs
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
Whiskey Sauce (recipe below)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place the bread in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons butter and pour over the bread cubes.
3. Toss the bread and evenly coat with the butter. Grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with the remaining tablespoon of butter and set aside.
4. Combine the heavy cream, milk, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and raisins in a large bowl. Whisk to mix.
5. Pour the cream mixture over the bread, and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes.
6. Transfer the bread mixture to the casserole dish and bake until the center of the bread pudding is set, 50 to 60 minutes.
7. Serve warm with warm Whiskey Sauce. Makes 10 to 12 servings
Whiskey Sauce Recipe
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup bourbon or other whiskey
Pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1. In a 1-quart saucepan set over medium heat, combine the cream, milk, and sugar.
2. Place the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the bourbon in a small mixing bowl and whisk to blend.
3. Pour into the cream mixture and bring to a boil. Once the sauce begins to boil, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5
4. Remove the sauce from the heat, add the salt, and stir in the butter and the remaining 1/2 cup of bourbon. Serve warm.