Last Updated on
Nesselrode Pie Recipe
This Nesselrode Pie Recipe is a holiday confection that will soon become a tradition once you try it. A creamy chiffon pie with accents of chocolate and candied fruit; this frozen confection is topped with a Christmas garden of cherry poinsettias and gumdrop holly.
Nesselrode Pie is one of the old-fashioned recipes that many remember from their youth in New York or from a relative’s holiday table long ago. Our version omits the rum and the gelatin (it is thickened through freezing), but the original authetic recipe can be found thanks to Arthur Schwartz, the Food Maven. The history behind the pie is a great read also!
3 egg whites
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup coarsely chopped blanched almonds, toasted
2 tablespoons maraschino-cherry syrup
1/3 cup maraschino cherries, cut in fourths
1/3 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, whipped
1 prepared Vanilla Wafer Crust (recipe below)
1. Beat the egg whites until foamy, add the granulated sugar gradually and beat until stiff.
2. Fold in the almonds, cherries, cherry syrup, and vanilla.
3. Fold confectioners’ sugar into whipped cream; fold into the first mixture.
4. Pour into Vanilla-wafer Crust and freeze until firm.
5. Garnish top with cherry poinsettias and gumdrop holly leaves.
To make cherry poinsettias:
The stem mark of maraschino cherry will be the center of flower.
Holding cherry at stem end, use sharp scissors to snip it in sixths from opposite end not quite through. Spread “petals” out around stem mark.
To make gumdrop holly leaves:
Sprinkle sugar on one sheet of wax paper, place green gumpdrops on top then cover with a second sheet of wax paper.
With a rolling pin, roll green gumdrops to 1/8 inch. Snip out holly-leaf shapes with scissors.
Place shaved chocolate around the edges for decoration.
Vanilla Wafer Crust Recipe:
1. Combine 1 1/4 cups fine vanilla-wafer crumbs and 1/3 cup melted butter or margarine.
2. Press into buttered 9-inch pie plate; chill till firm, about 45 minutes.