This is a great tasting breakfast or afternoon coffee cake. Without the extra sweetness of sugary frosting it doesn't have the sugar crash that comes with heavier cakes. We made this as muffins and as a cake; it's a versatile recipe and super easy to make. If you're making muffins, check for doneness after 30 minutes.
Banana Oatmeal Crumb Cake or Muffins
Oatmeal Crumb Cake Ingredients :
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups rolled oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup mashed bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Stir together flour, 1 1/3 cups rolled oats, salt, and baking soda.
2. In a large bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter with 2/3 cup brown sugar.
3. Beat in the eggs, then the bananas and vanilla.
4. Beat the flour mixture into the banana mixture. Turn the batter into a greased and floured 8 inch square pan.
5. Mix 3/4 cup oats, 1/3 cup brown sugar, melted butter, walnuts, and cinnamon together until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of batter in pan.
6. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until it tests done. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Other Great Breakfast Ideas
After giving this banana oatmeal crumb cake a try, give these other suggestions of ours a try. Figuring out what to make for breakfast on the weekends can get hard, especially if your family is sick of the same old same old.
The kids will surely love making stuffed French toast! There are a lot of different ways to go about making stuffed French toast, but we feel that raspberry cheesecake is a great flavor that the whole family will love. Your kids can give you a hand making this. You'll appreciate the extra hands, and they'll appreciate food more if they're the ones who cooked it.
Another great idea is to make a coffee cake. Coffee cake is named as it is not because it contains coffee, but because it is often eaten early in the morning with coffee. Cinnamon is a common flavor for coffee cake, but you can go big with whatever flavor you want!
Our final idea is to make a new flavor of pancake or waffle that you haven't tried before. There are so many different flavors to try. Red velvet pancakes are a great option, or try chocolate peanut butter for an option the kids will love. This is also a great way to switch up breakfast without having to try something that's completely new to you. Just switch out whatever flavor of pancake you normally make with a new one!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©MShev/Shutterstock.com.