Muffins are always a great way to start the day to tide your guests over until the big meal is served. This cranberry muffin recipe includes a brown sugar cranberry spread to add the perfect homemade jam touch to every bite.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons orange zest
1½ teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ cup shortening
¾ cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten
1½ cups chopped cranberries
1½ cups chopped walnuts
Cranberry Spread Ingredients:
1 (8 ounce) can whole cranberry sauce
2 Tablespoons brown sugar, packed
¼ cup butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Spray or grease a 12 cup and 6 cup muffin tin.
3. Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, orange zest, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger.
4. Cut in shortening; stir in juice, vanilla, eggs, cranberries and nuts.
5. Pour into muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes or until brown.
6. Prepare the topping in a saucepan over low heat by whisking together the cranberry sauce, brown sugar and margarine.
7. Cook until heated and smooth. Remove from heat and serve as a spread for the muffins.