At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
The fall season brings to mind certain food delights that you might not want to enjoy the rest of the year. It is the time of the year that our culinary pleasures focus more on heavy sauces, hearty breads and robust casseroles.
The humble cranberry is a food that can be easily used in any of these types of foods. Most Thanksgiving tables include some type of cranberry dish, often in the form of a tangy sauce or sweet cranberry nut bread.
What Can You Pair With This Cranberry Nut Bread Recipe?
This cranberry nut bread recipe is bursting with bits of warm cranberries in every bite. You may enjoy the bread completely on its own, without any accompanying sauces, jams, jellies or side dishes.
But the multitude of flavors in this bread also make it a perfect dish to serve alongside other foods.
Do you enjoy nut butters? The walnuts and cranberries in this bread recipe make it a great bread to slather a layer of peanut butter or almond butter onto and enjoy as a lunch or breakfast.
Are you looking for a creative way to dress up your Thanksgiving meal without using the same dishes that always have a spot at your table? Use this cranberry bread in place of the traditional bread rolls in order to have a spread that truly stands out from all others.
After Thanksgiving is over, this bread can also be used as a great sandwich bread to hold left
What Type of Healthy Substitutions Can You Make?
This bread is already full of whole healthy foods, including berries praised for their antioxidants and walnuts, which are full of healthy Omega-3 fats.
But if you are looking to make the bread even healthier, here are a few simple substitutions you can make:
- If you want a healthier flour, try substituting half of the all-purpose flour with whole-wheat flour.
- For those of you who cannot or will not consume gluten, you can substitute the all-purpose flour with an equal amount of almond flour.
- If you prefer your baked goods to not include eggs, 1/4 cup of applesauce will perform the binding necessary for the recipe. You can also mix together 1 tbsp. flaxseed meal with 3 tbsp. water. Set it aside for 15 minutes, then use the resulting mixture in place of the egg. This will add even more healthy Omega-3 fats to your bread.
- Substitute any mild tasting oil for the vegetable oil, including coconut or avocado oil. Avoid olive oils due to the strong taste that may overpower the other flavors in the bread.
- Peanuts, almonds, raisins, sunflower seeds, cashews or pecans can be substituted for the walnuts.
How Can You Make Cranberry Nut Bread Without Orange Juice?
But not everyone loves the subtle hint of orange. If you would prefer your cranberry bread to have a stronger cranberry taste, you can substitute in cranberry juice.
Other citrus juices would work. Apple juice and grape juice may also work, though their sugar content may make the overall bread too sweet unless you reduce the amount of white sugar you include.Print
This cranberry nut bread recipe is a slightly sweet, moist quick bread with a hint of orange. It’s full of plump cranberries that are chopped so that each bite is loaded with the delicious tangy taste of cranberries.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped cranberries
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the cranberries and walnuts, and stir to coat with flour.
- Mix together the egg, oil, orange juice, and orange zest.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture, and stir until just blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack, and cool completely.