Farm Stand Tomato Sauce
For delicious slow-cooked sauce that tastes fresh from the farm. Great use for those almost turned tomatoes.
2 onions, minced
¼ cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra as needed
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
½ cup dry red wine
¼ cup Minute tapioca
2 bay leaves
7 pounds tomatoes (about 14 large)
¼ cup minced fresh basil
Salt and pepper
1. Microwave onions, tomato paste, oil, garlic, and oregano in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
2. Stir wine, tapioca, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
3. Core and peel tomatoes, then transfer to slow cooker. Cover and cook until tomatoes are very soft and beginning to disintegrate, 9 to 11 hours on low or 5 to 7 hours on high.
4. Discard bay leaves. Mash tomatoes until mostly smooth with potato masher. Transfer sauce mixture to large Dutch over and simmer over medium-high heat until thickened, about 20 minutes.
5. Before serving, stir in basil and season with salt, pepper, and additional extra-virgin olive oil to taste.
Try one of our favorite Crock Pot Meals:
- Food and Recipes
- Dinner Ideas and Recipes
- 4 to 7 Ingredient Dinner Recipes
- 30 Minute Meals
- Dinner Meal Plans
- Crock Pot Recipes
- Freezer Cooking Recipes
- Easy Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
- Healthy Recipes
- Casserole Recipes
- Mama Shirleys Recipes
- Barbecue Recipes
- Soups - Side Dishes - Salad Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Breakfast Casseroles
- Kids Recipes
Most Popular Crock Pot Recipes
- Slow Cooker Bacon Ranch Chicken
- Crock Pot Beef Stew Recipe
- Slow Cooker Cowboy Chicken
- Crock Pot Recipes for the Crockpot and Slow Cooker
- Smothered Chicken with Red Potatoes
- Sweet and Sour Crock Pot Chicken
- Basil Garlic Whole Chicken with Vegetables
- Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Farmhouse Chicken and Corn Chowder