½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons sifted flour
⅛ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
3 Tablespoons cold butter, cut into ½ inch dice
½ cup toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
1 ¾ cups plus 2 Tablespoons sifted flour
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ cup butter, softened to room temperature
¾ cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup milk
Makes 16 squares
1. Set the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. line the bottom and sides of an 8 inch by 2 inch pan with foil, shiny side up. Coat the foil with butter or vegetable spray.
2. To make streusel: place sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl. Work in butter with fingers until mixture looks irregular bread crumbs. Add pecans to mixture and combine. Set aside.
3. To make the buckle: sift flour in a bowl. In another bowl, mix 2 Tablespoons of sifted flour with blueberries and set aside.
4. Sift baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in remaining flour.
5. Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until fluffy. Add egg and beat to combine.
6. In a glass measuring cup, stir vanilla into milk. Add dry ingredients and milk alternatively to batter in thirds. Fold in blueberries.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle streusel over top. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. After 30 minutes, cover buckle loosely with foil to prevent the crumbs from browning to quickly.
8. Remove buckle from the oven and cool on a rack until slightly warm. Cut into squares and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!