1 cup butter, softened
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 2/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup almonds, whole, blanched
1 tube red decorator's gel
1. In a bowl, beat together butter, sugar, egg, almond extract and vanilla.
2. Beat in flour, baking soda and salt.
3. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
4. Work with one quarter of the dough at a time, keep the rest refrigerated.
5. Roll one teaspoon of dough into a finger shape.
6. Press almond on the end of each cookie for a fingernail.
7. Squeeze in center to form knuckle shape.
8. Using a paring knife, make slashes in several places to form knuckle.
9. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
10. Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until pale golden.
11. Let cool for three minutes.
12. Lift up almond and squeeze red decorators gel onto nail bed. Press almond back in place so gel oozes out. You can also make slashes on fingers and fill them with blood.
13. Remove from baking sheet and let cool on racks.