2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons butter, cubed
3/4 cup buttermilk
Makes 9 biscuits
1. Set the oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Prepare a 14 inch by 16 inch baking sheet by greasing it or using a silicone liner.
3. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Work in butter with your fingers until butter pieces are the size of small peas.
4. Add buttermilk and work in gently. Knead twice in the bowl.
5. Place dough on a floured surface. Knead gently two times. Sprinkle lightly with flour and pat into a circle 1/2 inch thick.
6. Cut out 2 1/2 inch biscuits using a biscuit cutter dipped in flour. Press cutter straight down and lift up, do not twist or biscuits will not rise.
7. Transfer biscuits to baking sheet using a wide floured spatula. Gather up scraps, reshape dough, and cut out more biscuits.
8. Bake 12 - 13 minutes, or until lightly browned.