Cheese, it’s a part of everyone’s diet. If you’re anything like me you eat cheese as a snack, add it to almost every recipe, and spread it on your bagels. For all you cheese lovers, here is a list of 8 things you might not know about cheese.
1. Ten pounds of milk go into making just one pound of cheese.
2. Cheese is a great source of zinc (this will boost your immune system) and also B12 (energy boosting).
3. Soft cheese (such as feta and goat) has about one third less fat than hard cheese (like Parmesan).
4. The rind that comes on some cheeses is edible. It may not be tasty but you can still eat the rind.
5. Non-pasteurized cheese is legal in the US as long as its 60 days or older.
6. Water buffalo milk is used to make traditional mozzarella.
7. Penicillin is the name for mold you find in blue cheese. Many people are allergic to penicillin (the antibiotic version) but are not allergic to blue cheese.
8. Out of all the farm animals’ milk we use to make cheese, goat’s milk is used the most often.