An easy to make chandelier herb garden
DIY Hanging Herb Garden
This easy DIY project has now served as two recent gifts to two special ladies. The first time I made it was for my Nana’s 80th birthday gift, she is the woman who has everything (I mean EVERYTHING) so when I came across a lonely chandelier at the thrift shop I decided to make her a hanging chandelier planter. While making hers I happened upon two problems: 1. It was March and there were really no plants to be bought. 2. I used terra cotta planters so it made it heavy and I had to use the smallest pots I could find. It still turned out really cute and I did find a few small flowers I could use in it at the local nursery. She loves it too so it was a win-win.
Fast forward to Mother’s Day and I decided this same project would make a really nice way to present an herb garden to my mom. I was able to find this chandelier on a local facebook yard sale site for $10. I found plastic pots in a larger size that were super light-weight and would fit perfectly (at Lowe’s incase you were wondering), I think they were under $2 each. I used outdoor spray paint so that it doesn’t fade and will be weather resistant, another $5 (I only needed one can). I also purchased the herbs at Lowe’s for roughly $2 each, another $10. So all in all the project costs around $35 plus some bonus points for being homemade with love.
First step is to take off the ‘candle’ part of the chandelier which twists off. Snip off any cords or wires. Save the metal piece that twists onto the base of the candle part to use to secure the pots in place. I spray painted the pots first then attached them (I only sprayed the outside because I’m not sure that spray paint would be good for the plant to absorb plus you can’t see it so it would be a waste of paint). After attaching the pots I spray painted the chandelier while it was hanging to be sure I covered everywhere that would be showing. After allowing the paint to dry, I attached chalkboard labels and used a chalk marker to write the herbs on the labels. Planted the herbs and watered. Done. It’s by far one of my favorite DIY projects and it’s super easy, the hardest part is finding the chandelier.