Curried Shrimp and Rice
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 cup long-grain white rice
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
additional 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft (about 6 to 8 minutes).
3. Add the garlic and curry powder and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add the rice, 2 1/2 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Season the shrimp with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and place them in the skillet, covering them in the partially cooked rice.
7. Cover and cook until the shrimp are fully cooked, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the basil, mix well and serve.
Try one of our favorite 30 Minute Meals: