Candy Apple Recipe
8 to 10 medium crisp red or green apples, such as Delicious, Winesap, Jonathon or McIntosh, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
¾ cup water
½ cup light corn syrup
½ teaspoon red food coloring
Few drops of clove oil, if desired
1. Butter cookie sheets generously.
2. Wash and dry waxed apples thoroughly.
3. Insert wooden skewer in stem end of each apple.
4. Mix sugar, corn syrup, water and food coloring in 2-quart heavy saucepan.
5. Heat to boiling over high heat; reduce heat.
6. Boil gently, without stirring, to 290 degrees on a candy thermometer, or until small amounts dropped into very cold water separates into threads that are hard but not brittle.
7. Stir in clove oil.
8. Dip apples quickly into syrup.
9. Stand on cookie sheet; cool.
Note: You can add an extra creepy touch by adding a candy worm to each apple.