Orange Chiffon Cake
Perfect for springtime, this orange chiffon cake is a refreshing dessert that is perfectly sweet without being overwhelming.
Orange Chiffon Cake Recipe
2 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 large egg yolks, beaten
3/4 cup orange juice
1 1/2 Tablespoons orange juice
3 Tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
1 cup egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 Tablespoons heavy cream
3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
For the chiffon cake:
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Sift the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the oil, egg yolks, 3/4 cup orange juice, and 2 tablespoons of the zest.
4. Whisk until smooth and set aside.
5. Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar using a mixer set on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
6. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter until just combined. Pour the batter into a 10-inch tube pan and bake for 55 minutes.
7. Increase oven temperature to 350°F and continue to bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean -- 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Invert pan over a funnel and cool completely. Unmold cake by running a knife around the pan sides.
To make the frosting:
1. Combine the butter, heavy cream, and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice and 1 tablespoon zest together in a large bowl.
2. Add the confectioners' sugar gradually, using a mixer set on medium speed, until fluffy. (If necessary, add 1 or 2 additional tablespoons of cream to adjust frosting consistency).
3. Spread frosting over the entire cake.