Lightened Up Paella Ingredients:
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
Pinch of saffron threads
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
8 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, halved lengthwise, sliced crosswise
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, seeded, quartered, sliced
1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded, quartered, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
2 cups paella or Arborio rice
1 (14.25 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
2 cups frozen peas
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
8 ounces frozen medium-size shrimp, cooked
1 gallon freezer bag, labeled
1 quart freezer bag, labeled
1. Place chicken broth in a saucepan over medium-heat. Rub saffron with your fingers, crushing it, as you sprinkle it into the broth. Stir and bring to a low simmer, reducing heat to low to keep it warm.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large wide skillet over medium heat. Add turkey sausage and cook, stirring often for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper, stir to combine, and then remove both meats with a slotted spoon and set aside.
4. Add remaining olive oil to pan and cook onions and bell peppers, stirring occasionally, until softened.
5. Add garlic and sprinkle with paprika. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
6. Add rice, stirring to coat with oil and lightly toast.
7. Add chicken broth, stirring to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Raise heat to medium and return chicken and sausage to pan, stirring to combine. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Add more broth or water if necessary and simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Stir in peas and parsley and simmer for 5 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated and there is a light (not burned) crust on the bottom of the mixture. Remove from heat.
10. To serve immediately, add shrimp and serve half of paella immediately.
Makes 2 entrees, each entree serves 4
Let other half cool completely. Put shrimp in quart freezer bag to avoid overcooking when reheating. Transfer paella to gallon freezer bag, removing as much air as possible before sealing and freezing.
Remove shrimp and paella from freezer to defrost overnight in refrigerator. Place paella in a large pan over medium heat. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of water and reheat, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Add shrimp and continue to reheat for 5 minutes.
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!