Lime Pork with Peppers Ingredients:
2 medium limes
¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried thyme
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 to 3 sprigs fresh parsley, stems removed
1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 medium onions, each cut into 8 wedges
2 small green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 medium tomatoes, each cut into 8 wedges
1. Finely grate lime peel, reserving 2 tablespoons peel. Juice the limes.
2. In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, garlic, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, parsley, lime juice, and reserved lime peel.
3. Pour ½ cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the pork and bay leaf. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
4. Drain pork and discard marinade. Discard bay leaf.
5. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add sugar; stir until bubbly.
6. Add the meat; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until browned.
7. Reduce heat; add the onions, peppers, and the reserved lime mixture. Cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes; cook 1 minute longer.
Per 1½ cup serving
Total Fat: 8 g
Sat: 2 g
Protein: 26 g
Carb: 18 g
Fiber: 3 g
Cholesterol: 63 mg
Sodium: 540 mg
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, ½ fat
Grilled Pineapple Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons dark honey
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 firm, yet ripe, pineapple
1 tablespoon dark rum, optional
I tablespoon grated lime zest
1. Prepare broiler.
2. In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, cloves, cinnamon, honey, and lime juice and whisk to blend. Set aside.
3. Cut off the crown of leaves and the base of the pineapple. Stand the pineapple upright and, using a large knife, pare off the skin, cutting downward just below the surface in long, vertical strips. Cut off any remaining brown “eyes” on the fruit. Stand the peeled pineapple upright and cut it in half lengthwise. Place each pineapple half cut-side down and cut it lengthwise into four long wedges; slice away the core.
4. Place the pineapple in the bowl with the marinade and stir to coat pineapple.
5. Place on broiler rack and cook about 3 to 4 minutes, basting once or twice with the remaining marinade. Turn the fruit and reduce heat. Baste again with the marinade. Grill until the pineapple is tender and golden, about 3 more minutes.
6. Remove the pineapple from the broiler and place on a platter or individual serving plates. Brush with the rum, if using, and sprinkle with lime zest. Serve hot or warm.
Per 2 wedges serving
Total Fat: 4 g
Sat: 1 g
Protein: 1 g
Carb: 30 g
Fiber: 2 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 2 mg
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!