Stir-Fried Scallops and Asparagus Ingredients:
1 (3 ounce) package chicken ramen noodles
1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 pound sea scallops, halved horizontally
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1. Discard seasoning packet from ramen noodles or save for another use. Cook ramen noodles according to package directions; keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet or wok, cook and stir asparagus and garlic in oil for 2 minutes.
3. Add red pepper; cook and stir for 1 minute longer.
4. Add green onions; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer.
5. Stir in scallops. Cook for 3 minutes or until scallops are firm and opaque.
6. Combine the lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, and hot pepper sauce; stir into skillet. Serve over ramen noodles.
Per serving, 1 cup scallop mixture and ¼ cup noodles
Total Fat: 9 g
Sat: 3 g
Protein: 24 g
Carb: 22 g
Fiber: 2 g
Cholesterol: 37 mg
Sodium: 578 mg
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 very lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
Gingered Citrus-Avocado Salad Ingredients:
2 large naval oranges, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick, then quartered
1 medium grapefruit, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick, then quartered
1 (20 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
½ cup fat-free sour cream or Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons fat-free milk
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 cups torn leaf lettuce
1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
¼ cup chopped pecans toasted
1. In a large bowl, combine oranges, grapefruit, and pineapple; cover and refrigerate until serving.
2. In another bowl, combine sour cream, milk, brown sugar, orange peel, ginger, and nutmeg. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Divide lettuce and avocado between four dinner plates. Using a slotted spoon, arrange fruit over lettuce. Drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with nuts.
Total Fat: 13 g
Sat: 1 g
Protein: 6 g
Carb: 48 g
Fiber: 12 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 70 mg
Diabetic Exchanges: 1½ fruit, 1½ fat, ½ starch
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!