Chocolate Pie Recipe
This is a chocolate pie recipe that has been handed down a few generations. It makes creamy, decadent chocolate pie that is truly a taste experience to remember.
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
3 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups hot milk
2 oz. (squares) unsweetened baker's chocolate, broken into small pieces
2 egg yolks, well beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 baked 9" pie shell
1 recipe Meringue (recipe below)
1. Blend sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt.
2. Stir gradually into hot milk, and cook over boiling water (using a double boiler) until thickened.
3. Add chocolate, stir until well blended and smooth.
4. Add a small amount of cooked mixture to beaten egg yolks, blending in thoroughly. Return this mixture to remaining mixture in saucepan and cook 2 minutes longer.
5. Remove from heat then add the vanilla, mix well.
6. Place cooled filling into pie shell, then make the meringue (below).
7. Pile the meringue on top of the filling, going to the edge of the pie with the meringue to prevent shrinking and gaps.
8. Bake at 375 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned.
2 egg whites (room temperature is a must)
4 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Beat egg whites until stiff and foamy.
2. Add sugar very slowly (this is important) to preserve the air in the meringue, continuing to beat until soft peaks are formed. Add the vanilla while beating to mix well.
3. Spread the meringue over filling. Seal to edge of crust to prevent shrinking.