Carrot Raisin Salad
This ratatouille recipe is usually prepared in the summer when the vegetables are at their peak; however in our global economy its always summer somewhere and therefore readily available. Usually a side dish, it can be served as the main entrée accompanied with rice or fresh bread.
Ratatouille regained its popularity after the 2007 release of the Disney movie bearing the same name. Initially a poor man's meal, ratatouille originated in an area around Nice, France. It comes from the word touiller, which means to toss food.
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 eggplant, sliced into 1-inch pieces and quartered
2 zucchini, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces and halved
1 red bell pepper
3 Tablespoons wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1. Prepare vegetables before beginning recipe. Slice onion, cut garlic into slivers or mince, chop parsley, cut eggplant into 1-inch rounds, cut zucchini into 1/4-inch rounds, seed and chop red pepper.
2. Blanch tomatoes by placing in boiling water for 10 seconds. Drain, and when cool enough to handle, peel, seed and chop. Reserve juice from tomatoes.
1. Heat oil in a deep, heavy saucepan. Add onion, garlic and 1 tablespoon parsley. Sauté about 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add eggplant, zucchini and red sweet pepper and mix well.
2. Cover pan and simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender; about 30-35 minutes. Add tomatoes with the juice, stir well, cover again and simmer 10 minutes more.
3. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
4. Add wine vinegar and black pepper to taste. Stir well.
5. Place into serving dish and garnish with fresh parsley, basil or oregano. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Food and Recipes
- Dinner Recipes
- 4 to 7 Ingredient Dinner Recipes
- 30 Minute Meals
- Dinner Meal Plans
- Crock Pot Recipes
- Freezer Cooking Recipes
- Easy Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
- Healthy Recipes
- Casserole Recipes
- Mama Shirleys Recipes
- Barbecue Recipes
- Soups - Side Dishes - Salad Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Breakfast Casseroles
- Kids Recipes