2 pounds lean ground beef
2 Tablespoons chili seasoning
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut-up
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) kidney beans , drained and rinsed
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
1/2 cup water
Cornbread Topping Ingredients:
1 box (8 1/2 ounces) corn muffin mix
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Brown ground beef in large skillet on medium-high heat; drain.
2. Place ground beef in slow cooker. Add chili seasoning, onion powder, stewed tomatoes, kidney beans, chiles and water. Mix all ingedients well.
3. Cover and cook 8 hours on low, then prepare the cornbread topping.
4. For the cornbread topping, increase the heat setting to high. Prepare corn muffin batter as directed on package.
5. Drop batter by spoonfuls on top of filling in slow cooker.
6. Cover. Cook 30 minutes longer or until toothpick inserted into center of cornbread topping comes out clean. Turn off slow cooker.
7. Sprinkle cornbread topping with cheddar cheese, cover for 5 minutes longer until cheese begins to melt.