Baked Beans with Ham
Instead of the minuscule amount of pork in regular baked beans, this recipe uses a hearty helping of ham to create a belly filling meal. The addition of brown sugar and molasses take an ordinary dish and make it memorable. Serve ladled over cornbread for sticky sweet and savory goodness in every mouthful.
Baked Beans with Ham Ingredients:
1 can (28 ounces) baked beans
2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
¼ cup tomato paste
2 Tablespoons molasses
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried minced onion
1 teaspoon taco seasoning
1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
1. In a 1½-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine all ingredients.
2. Cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until heated through, stirring once.
1½ cups cornmeal
2½ cups milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
⅔ cup white sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. In a small bowl, combine corn meal and milk; let stand for 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
4. Mix in the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.