At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Chili Cheese Cornbread
½ lb. chorizo sausage
2 cups flour
1 ½ cups yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup sour cream
6 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded ( 2 ¼ cups)
1 (4 oz) can mild green chilies, drained and chopped
Makes 9 3-inch squares
1. Set the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. line the bottom and sides of a 9 inch by 9 inch by 2 inch pan with foil, shiny side up. Coat the foil with butter or vegetable spray.
2. Remove casing from chorizo and coarsely chop. Add chorizo to frying pan, set over medium to high heat, and sauté until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Remove chorizo from pan with slotted spoon and place on a platter covered with paper towels. Place a second layer of paper towels on top and press gently to absorb excess fat.
4. Place flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
5. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and sour cream until smooth. Whisk egg mixture into dry ingredients until combined.
6. Stir in chorizo, cheese, and green chilies.
7. Place batter in prepared pan and bake 35 to 38 minutes, or until top is golden brown and a tester inserted into middle comes out clean.
8. Lift cornbread from pan with foil. Cut into 3 inch squares and serve with warm butter.