Blue Ribbon Chili
This quick and easy chili uses chili seasoning mix and two kinds of kidney beans along with other convenient pantry staples to create a simple weeknight meal. Serve with cornbread for a hearty dinner that requires little prep.
Blue Ribbon Chili Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef
½ onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic salt
2½ cups tomato sauce
1 (8 ounce) jar salsa
4 Tablespoons chili seasoning mix
1 (15 ounce) can light red kidney beans
1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef and the onion and sauté for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain grease, if desired.
2. Add the ground black pepper, garlic salt, tomato sauce, salsa, chili seasoning mix and kidney beans.
3. Mix well, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour.
1½ cups cornmeal
2½ cups milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
⅔ cup white sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, combine corn meal and milk; let stand for 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
4. Mix in the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil until smooth. Pour batter into prepared 13 x 9 inch pan.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.