At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Mexican Pizza Recipe
1 Tablespoon ground cornmeal
1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed and divided in half
½ pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 can (16 ounces) fat free refried beans
1 cup salsa
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced fat Mexican blend cheese
4 medium plum tomatoes, chopped (if not in season substitute with half of a 14 ounce can of tomatoes for the most flavor)
2 cups shredded lettuce
1. Coat two 12 inch pizza pans with cooking spray; sprinkle with cornmeal.
2. Roll each half of the bread dough into a 12 inch circle and place each circle onto a prepared pizza pan.
3. Pinch the edges of each circle around the pan to create a rolled crust edge. Using a fork, prick the dough evenly across each crust.
4. Bake at 425° for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
5. While the crust is baking; cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic in a large frying pan over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain off any fat.
6. Add in the refried beans, salsa, chilies and chili powder; stirring well to combine all ingredients thoroughly. Heat through.
7. Spread the mixture evenly over the crusts; sprinkle with cheese.
8. Bake for 7 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Top with tomatoes and lettuce; serve while hot.
Makes 2 pizzas (6 slices each)
One slice equals:
7 grams fat (3 grams saturated fat)
20 mg cholesterol
706 mg sodium
31 grams carbohydrate
5 grams fiber
17 grams protein