South of the Border Stuffed Shells
24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon chili powder
2 cups medium salsa
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 cup frozen corn
½ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
8 Tablespoons reduced fat sour cream
8 Tablespoons salsa
1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
¼ cup sliced green onions
1. Cook pasta shells according to package directions; drain.
2. In a large nonstick frying pan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
3. Stir in the salt, chili powder, salsa, tomato sauce, corn and beans.
4. Remove from heat. Coat a 13×9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
5. Spoon the beef mixture evenly into the pasta shells, placing stuffed shells into prepared baking dish.
6. Sprinkle Mexican cheese across the top of the stuffed shells.
7. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until heated through.
8. Let cool for 5 minutes, then top with sour cream, salsa, olives and onions before serving.
Makes 8 servings
One serving (3 stuffed shells with 1 Tablespoon each sour cream and salsa and 1½ teaspoons each olives and onions) equals:
10 grams fat (5 grams saturated fat)
36 mg cholesterol
787 mg sodium
35 grams carbohydrate
4 grams fiber
23 grams protein