Longhorn Cowboy Chuck Wagon Casserole
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14½ ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
¼ cup water
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1⅓ cups uncooked instant white rice
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
1. Brown the beef on medium heat in a large non-stick frying pan until no longer pink, stirring to break meat into crumbles. Drain.
2. Add onion and green pepper. Cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender.
3. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, and seasonings.
4. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook 6 more minutes or until bubbly, stirring every 2 minutes.
5. Stir in rice. Cover and cook an additional 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
6. Turn off heat and sprinkle the Mexican cheese blend over the mixture. Cover for another minute or until cheese is melted.
Makes 6 servings
One serving (1⅓ cups) equals:
12 grams fat (5 grams saturated fat)
41 mg cholesterol
890 mg sodium
44 grams carbohydrate
7 grams fiber
22 g protein