At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
400 Calorie Old Fashioned Shepherd’s Pie
6 medium potatoes
1 pound carrots, cut into ¼ inch slices
1½ pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 large onion, chopped
1 jar (12 ounces) fat free beef gravy
1 teaspoon salt, divided
½ teaspoon rubbed sage
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
¼ teaspoon pepper
⅓ cup fat free milk
1 Tablespoon butter
3 Tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Peel and dice the potatoes. Place in a large saucepan and cover with water.
2. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
3. In another large saucepan; add carrots and just enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender but firm (about 8 minutes). Drain.
5. In a large nonstick frying pan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
6. Stir in the carrots, gravy, ½ teaspoon salt, sage, thyme, rosemary and pepper, stirring until all ingredients are well combined.
7. Transfer mixture to a shallow 3 quart baking dish coated with cooking spray.
8. Drain the potatoes; then add the milk, butter and remaining salt and mash them until smooth.
9. Spread the potatoes evenly over the meat mixture. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
10. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40 minutes or until heated through.
Makes 6 servings.
1 serving equals:
14 grams fat (7 grams saturated fat)
56 mg cholesterol
895 mg sodium
43 grams carbohydrate
6 grams fiber
32 grams protein