Hearty Ham and Red Potatoes
2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped green pepper
½ cup chopped sweet red pepper
1 Tablespoon canola oil
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 cans (12 ounces each) fat-free evaporated milk
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1½ pounds fully cooked lean ham slices, cut into strips
1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced carrots, cooked and drained
¼ cup minced fresh parsley
1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
3. Meanwhile in a large nonstick frying pan, sauté onion and peppers in oil until tender.
4. Stir in the flour, pepper and thyme until blended. Gradually add milk.
5. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
6. Reduce heat; add 1 cup cheese and mustard. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
7. Add the potatoes, ham, carrots and parsley, combining well.
8. Transfer to a 3 quart baking dish coated with cooking spray.
9. Cover and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
10. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Makes 10 servings
One serving (1¼ cups) equals:
6 grams fat (2 grams saturated fat)
26 mg cholesterol
946 mg sodium
38 grams carbohydrate
4 grams fiber
27 grams protein