At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Sloppy Joe Mac and Cheese
1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
¾ pound lean ground turkey
½ cup finely chopped celery
½ cup shredded carrot
1 can (14½ ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
½ cup water
1 envelope sloppy joe mix (or make your own, recipe below)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon butter
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground mustard
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
4 cups 2% milk
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
8 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
Homemade Sloppy Joe Mix:
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon minced onion
1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, celery, and carrot over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and sloppy joe mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Drain macaroni; set aside.
5. In a large saucepan, sauté onion in butter until tender.
6. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt, and pepper until smooth.
7. Gradually add milk and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
8. Stir in the process cheese until melted.
9. Add macaroni and 1 cup cheddar cheese; mix well.
10. Spread two thirds of the macaroni mixture in a 13 in. x 9 in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread turkey mixture to within 2 in. of edges. Spoon remaining macaroni mixture around edges of pan. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted.
Yield: 10 servings
1⅓ cups equals:
16 g fat (9 g saturated fat)
71 mg cholesterol
1,140 mg sodium
54 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
26 g protein