Last Updated on
Italian Stuffed Meatloaf
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Honey Glazed Carrots
Italian Stuffed Meatloaf Ingredients:
2 pounds ground sirloin
1 large egg white
1 cup tomato juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 onion, chopped
4 ounces sliced, part-skim Mozzarella or provolone cheese
½ cup frozen spinach, cooked according to package directions and squeezed dry
½ cup jarred, roasted red peppers, draining and chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In large bowl, combine the sirloin, egg white, tomato juice, salt and pepper, garlic, and oregano.
3. In a small non-stick skillet coated with non-stick cooking spray, sauté onion until tender. Add the cooked onion to the meat mixture, mixing well.
4. Put half the meat mixture into a non-stick 9x5x3-inch loaf pan coated with non-stick cooking spray, layer with Mozzarella cheese, spinach, and red peppers and cover with remaining meat mixture. Bake meatloaf for one hour or until meat is done. Serve half of meatloaf.
Makes 2 entrees, each entree serves 4
Cool to room temperature, then wrap, label, and freeze up to 3 months.
Remove from freezer to defrost. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3½ lean meat, 1 vegetable
Creamy Mashed Potatoes Ingredients:
2 pounds russet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and sliced ½ inch thick
Salt and pepper
½ cup 2% low-fat milk, warmed
⅓ cup low-fat sour cream, room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. Place the potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt in a large saucepan, add enough water to voer the potatoes by 1 inch, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart, about 15 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes and return to the saucepan set on the still-hot burner. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until just a few small lumps remain. Fold in the milk, sour cream, and butter until just incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Yield: 6 servings, ⅔ cup serving
Honey Glazed Carrots Ingredients:
1½ pounds carrots (about 9), peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick on the bias
½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. Bring the carrots, broth, and ¼ teaspoon salt to a simmer in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to medium, and cook until the carrots are almost tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Uncover, increase the heat to high, and simmer rapidly until the liquid measures about 2 tablespoons, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the honey and butter and continue to cook, stirring often, until the carrots are completely tender and the sauce has reduced to a light golden glaze, about 4 minutes.
3. Off the heat, stir in the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
Yield: 4 servings, ¾ cup serving