Last Updated on
Potato-Crusted Chicken Casserole
1 large potato, thinly sliced*
1 Tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1½ pounds chicken tenderloins, cut into ½-inch cubes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1½ cups fat-free milk
¼ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
2 cups frozen peas and carrots
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon dried basil
Dash rubbed sage
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
½ teaspoon garlic powder
*Potato slices tested at 1/16 of an inch using a mandolin
1. In a large bowl, toss potato slices with oil, salt, and pepper.
2. Arrange slices onto the bottom and sides of an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until potato is tender. Reduce heat to 350°.
3. Meanwhile, for filling, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove from skillet.
4. In the same skillet, sauté onion in butter.
5. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
6. Reduce heat; stir in cheeses until melted.
7. Stir in vegetables, seasonings and chicken. Spoon into potato crust.
8. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and topping is golden brown.
Yield: 6 servings
1 serving equals:
11 g fat (4 g saturated fat)
85 mg cholesterol
674 mg sodium
28 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
35 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat