At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Chicken Pot Pie
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups sliced and quartered carrots
4 cups cubed chicken
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1½ cups milk
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
Pastry for two double-crust 9-inch pies or use biscuit/baking mix to make crust
Two 9-inch aluminum pie pans
1. Boil potatoes and carrots in a large stockpot. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer vegetables for 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in another pot, boil cubed chicken for 8 minutes.
3. Drain vegetables and chicken and set aside.
4. In a large skillet, sauté onion in butter until tender. Add flour, salt, thyme, and pepper, stirring until blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken, peas, corn, potatoes, and carrots. Remove from heat.
Crust Option 1:
1. Line two 9-inch pie pans with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of pan.
2. Fill pastry shells with chicken mixture.
3. Roll out remaining pasty to fit top of pies. Cut slits or decoration cutouts in pasty. Place over filling; trim, seal, and style the edges.
4. Bake one pot pie at 425°F for 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Let sit for 15 minutes before cutting. Cover and freeze remaining pot pie for up to 4 months.
Crust Option 2:
1. Mix together 2 cups biscuit/baking mix, 1¼ cups milk, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, and ½ teaspoon celery seed. (Mixture will be thin.)
2. Fill two 9-inch pie pans with chicken mixture.
3. Spoon over top of chicken pot pie.
4. Bake one pot pie at 325°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden browned. Cover and freeze remaining pot pie for up to 4 months.
1. Cover edges of frozen pot pie with foil; place on baking sheet.
2. Bake at 425°F for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake for 70 to 80 minutes longer, or until crust is golden brown.
Yield: two 9-inch pot pies, 6-8 servings each
Freeze up to: 4 months