At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Herbed Beef and Brown Rice Stuffed Cabbage
1 medium head cabbage
¾ pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
½ cup finely chopped onion
1 can (14½ ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
½ cup water
⅓ cup instant brown rice
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
½ cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1. Cook cabbage in boiling water just until the leaves fall off head. Remove 16 large leaves for rolls. Refrigerate remaining cabbage in a tightly sealed zip lock bag for another use.
2. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom part of each reserved leaf, making a V shaped cut. Set aside.
3. In a large nonstick frying pan, cook the ground beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
4. Stir in tomatoes and water; bring to a boil.
5. Stir in brown rice; return to a boil.
6. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, basil, thyme, salt and sugar.
8. Spread half the sauce onto the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
9. Place about ⅓ cup beef mixture onto two reserved cabbage leaves (layered on top of each other).
10. Overlap cut ends of leaves, blanketing the meat mixture between the leaves.
11. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling.
12. Place cabbage rolls on top of the sauce in the baking dish, then cover with remaining tomato sauce mixture.
13. Cover and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
14. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 to 7 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Makes 4 servings
2 cabbage rolls equals:
9 grams fat (4 grams saturated fat)
50 mg cholesterol
897 mg sodium
29 grams carbohydrate
4 grams fiber
24 grams protein