At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Creamy Pink Penne Pasta
1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
1 cup thinly sliced onions
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 Tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1½ cups half and half cream, divided
½ cup white wine or reduced sodium chicken broth
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
2 Tablespoons flour
½ cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, divided
1. Cook penne according to package directions.
2. While pasta is cooking, cook onions in butter in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat for 8 minutes, or until lightly browned.
3. Add the thyme, basil and salt; cook an additional 2 minutes.
4. Add 1 cup cream, wine and tomato paste; cook and stir until blended.
5. In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining cream, whisking until smooth.
6. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the sauce in the frying pan.
7. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in ¼ cup of the cheese.
8. Drain penne. Toss with sauce, coating thoroughly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Makes 8 servings
1 cup equals:
10 grams fat (6 grams saturated fat)
34 mg cholesterol
445 mg sodium
46 grams carbohydrate
2 grams fiber
12 grams protein