At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Chicken with Garlic Sauce
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
1½ teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 4 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
1½ teaspoons rubbed sage
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1½ pounds)
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
7 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
½ cup chopped onion
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ cup white wine or reduced sodium chicken broth
1¼ cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
3 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 2 Tablespoons flour, rosemary, sage, salt and pepper; add chicken.
2. Seal bag and shake to coat.
3. In a large nonstick frying pan, brown chicken in 1 Tablespoon oil over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side.
4. Transfer to an 8 inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
5. Bake, uncovered, at 325°F for 15 minutes.
6. While the chicken is baking, sauté the garlic, onion and red pepper flakes in remaining oil until onion is tender and garlic begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
7. Stir in wine or broth; bring to a boil. Boil until wine is reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
8. Stir in chicken broth; bring to a boil. Boil until broth is reduced by half, about 7 minutes. Remove pan from the heat.
9. Whisk together butter and remaining flour; add to frying pan. Return to heat.
10. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce thickens.
11. Serve sauce warm over chicken breasts. Sprinkle with parsley.
Makes: 4 servings
1 chicken breast half with ½ cup sauce equals:
12 grams fat (4 grams saturated fat)
106 mg cholesterol
774 mg sodium
12 gram carbohydrate
1 gram fiber
42 grams protein