Chicken Saltimbocca with Mushroom Sauce
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper, divided
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (2 pounds)
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
2 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
½ cup chopped shallots
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup white wine or reduced sodium chicken broth
1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
⅓ cup half and half cream
3 Tablespoons fresh sage or 3 teaspoons dried sage leaves, divided
1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
¼ cup water
1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in 1 Tablespoon oil for 6 to 8 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.
3. In the same skillet, sauté the mushrooms, prosciutto, shallots, and garlic in remaining oil until tender.
4. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about ⅓ cup, about 10 minutes.
5. Stir in broth. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced.
6. Stir in cream and 2 Tablespoons sage; heat through (do not boil).
7. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, lightly mash ½ cup beans; add the water. Stir in the remaining pepper, sage and beans. Heat through.
8. Add chicken to the mushroom mixture and heat through. Serve with beans.
Yield: 8 servings
1 serving equals:
13 g fat (4 g saturated fat)
84 mg cholesterol
371 mg sodium
14 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
26 g protein