At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Chicken Biscuit Stew
1 cup julienned carrots
1 cup thinly sliced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
¼ cup water
3 Tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
1 cup (8 ounces) fat free plain yogurt
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
¼ teaspoon each curry powder, salt, pepper, ground cumin, and ginger
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
4½ teaspoons cold butter
½ cup fat free plain yogurt
1½ teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1. In a large nonstick skillet, sauté the carrots, onion, and garlic in oil until tender.
2. Add chicken; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
3. Combine the flour, water, and wine or broth until smooth; add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in yogurt, peas, and seasonings. Transfer to a shallow 1 1/2 qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; keep warm.
4. For biscuits, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in yogurt and parsley. Drop eight mounds over warm chicken mixture.
5. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 35 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and stew bubbles around the edges.
Yield: 4 servings
One serving (1 cup stew with 2 biscuits) equals:
9 g fat (1 g saturated fat)
68 mg cholesterol
895 mg sodium
47 g carbohydrate
5 g fiber
37 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, ½ fat free milk