At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Easy Lemon Chicken Piccata
8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
½ cup egg substitute
2 Tablespoons plus ¼ cup dry white wine or chicken broth, divided
5 Tablespoons lemon juice, divided
3 teaspoons capers
3 garlic cloves, minced
⅛ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup minced fresh parsley
½ teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2 Tablespoons butter
1. Flatten chicken to ¼ inch thickness.
2. In a shallow dish, combine the egg substitute, 2 Tablespoons wine or broth, 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, capers, garlic, and hot pepper sauce.
3. In another shallow dish, combine the flour, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and salt.
4. Coat chicken with flour mixture, dip in egg substitute mixture, then coat again with flour mixture.
5. In a large nonstick skillet, brown four chicken breast halves in 1½ teaspoons oil for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm. Drain drippings. Repeat with remaining chicken and oil. Remove and keep warm.
6. In the same pan, melt butter. Add the remaining wine or broth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until sauce is reduced by a fourth. Drizzle over chicken.
Yield: 8 servings
One chicken breast half equals:
8 g fat (4 g saturated fat)
79 mg cholesterol
398 mg sodium
8 g carbohydrate
32 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, ½ starch