Last Updated on
Healthy Chicken Stroganoff
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons butter
1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch strips
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
11/3 cups reduced sodium beef broth, divided
1 cup white wine or additional reduced sodium beef broth
2 Tablespoons ketchup
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup (8 ounces) fat free sour cream
6 cups cooked no yolk noodles
1. In a large nonstick skillet, sauté mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Remove and set aside.
2. In the same skillet, cook the chicken with the Worcestershire and soy sauces until browned.
3. Add 1 cup broth, wine or additional broth, ketchup, garlic and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Combine flour and remaining 1/3 cup broth until smooth; stir into chicken mixture.
5. Add reserved mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low.
6. Stir in sour cream; heat through (do not boil). Serve over noodles.
Yield: 6 servings
One serving (1 cup chicken mixture with 1 cup noodles) equals:
7 g fat (3 g saturated fat)
80 mg cholesterol
1,339 mg sodium
66 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
41 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 3½ starch, 3½ lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat